Bassenthwaite Sailing Club welcomes new members, individuals and families of all ages. We are a small, friendly club with sailors of a wide range of abilities and experience. If you would like to join us, please feel free to visit during racing hours and introduce yourself as a prospective member. You may also wish to take a look at our membership subscription options and prices where you can subscribe directly.
Bassenthwaite Sailing Club is primarily a racing club and members are encouraged to become involved in the racing when they feel ready. The racing programme is designed to suit all levels of experience and most types of dinghy. Many races are based on personal handicap and even a complete novice may end up as a winner. However, racing is not mandatory and for those who have not raced before, race training courses are run annually at the Club.
To help understand what membership subscription you need, here are some examples (prices are here):
- Single adult: 1 x Ordinary
- Adult couple: 1 x Ordinary, 1 x Family
- Adult or couple with children under 18 (or under 23 in full-time education): 1 x Ordinary, 1 x Family
- Adult 60+ years old: 1 x Senior
- Adult under 28 years old: 1 x Young Adult
- Junior under 18 or under 23 in full-time education: 1 x Junior
- Note: Add a Boat Launch Fee for each boat
If you have further questions, you may contact the Membership Secretary at [email protected].
We look forward to welcoming you.
- I am interested in joining, what should I do next? Feel free to visit us during racing hours to ask questions and look around. You can contact the Membership Secretary at [email protected]. You can join us, here.
- Am I expected to race? We strongly encourage taking part in our racing. We have sailors of all abilities racing, we can offer advice and support to help you get involved.
- Can I join with a canoe or paddleboard? We are a sailing club and do not encourage canoes or paddleboards.
- Where can I launch my canoe or paddleboard? See the Lake District National Park information about lake access and permits.
- Can I learn to sail with you? Yes, we have beginner training with limited capacity, contact [email protected] for information.
- What boat should I buy? We recommend speaking with members who sail, taking time, and ideally chosing a boat that is already raced at our club. This helps with progression (if learning) and helps improve the quality of racing.
- Can I camp at the club? Yes, but only on designated days. We must abide to Lake District National Park restrictions.
- What boats do you race? We have the following fleets: Flying Fifteen, GP14, Mirror & Tera. A handicap fleet covers all other classes raced using the Portsmouth Yardstick handicap system. Within the handicap fleet we have a mix of designs with a good number of Lasers and Solos and some asymmetrics including RS400s and RS200s.