Rain, rain go away

After a damp, stormy start to the day, the sun broke through and made for an inviting afternoon on the water. However, with various people away at The Lord Birkett event on Ullswater, and an earlier forecast for a wet weekend, and some stronger than expected gusts passing through. there wasn’t a lot of takers on Saturday.

Of those that did venture out, there were various capsizes, and three retirements, even before racing got underway. Of the two F15s to start, Chris Rolle, with a novice crew, realised the strength of the wind was going to be too much and retired at the end of the first beat leaving Tim/Ian to complete the course on their own. OD Val wasn’t giving them an easy ride, sending them around two laps of the course.

The handicap fleet comprised three single handlers, two Lasers and a Vareo, which had some close racing. At the gybe mark all three opted to ware round. Peter was first, but capsized. Tony was next but took it rather cautiously letting Hugh get through to the lead. However, Hugh retired on the next beat. Peter righted his boat with a mud stained mainsail, and retired shortly after, leaving Tony to complete the course for a win. However, a couple of capsizes on the reach into the gybe mark put paid to his intention to sail the final 300m and he retired as well.

So with eight boats taking to the water, there was only one finisher… No takers for the second race meant an early finish on a gloriously sunny afternoon.

Latest results

Sunday started sunny with a southerly which seemed slightly stronger than forecast. The beat was set from 1 to 7 (Scarness in old money), and with laps taking over 25 mins for the leaders, some commented how far it was. That didn’t stop them going round for a second lap though! There were just two boats in the slow handicap fleet but Joyce in a Splash soon retired leaving Jim in his Hartley racing alone. Once his course was shortened the OD raced to a wing mark on the course to shorten other fleets, but was beaten by the lead F15, so back to the startling to shorten their course before racing back to the wing Mark to shorten other fleets. Ok, it may have been a slightly moving finish line, and Val did point out she was catching Mike/Eric, but they were pleased to finish.

BL Series latest

The afternoon race was the Jubilee Sailing Trust Pennant. OD Hugh had determined the course before heading ashore for lunch, during which time the wind freshened and white horses appeared, however by the time the race was due to start the wind was swinging towards the SW and Sale Fell was casting a shadow over the northern end of the lake. Upon seeing the course the OD was bombarded with numerous not so witty comments (NB must try harder) about the length of the course and number of marks being used. Racing got underway and the wind filled in a little as it swung back to the south for some good racing conditions. After 40 mins Angus/James were first to the windward mark in their F15 with Tim/Ian close on their tail, and Joan/Jack in a GP not too far behind. On the return legs, Tim broke through to the lead, but didn’t shake off Angus. Val/Ken caught up with Joan on the return trip and, with a matter of seconds between them at the finish, the GPs took 1st and 2nd with the F15s 3rd and 4th.

By the time Mik had finished in his Mirror after 2+ hours, the rain moved in, the wind had swung, faded!

Poppy strengthened her lead in the Sandra’s Salver Trophy with another 1st.

Jubilee Sailing Trust Pennant
Sandra’s Salver Pennant