Sultry Saturday

A cloudy start to the day cleared offering mainly sunny spells throughout the afternoon. With no wind at home, several people who turned up were surprised by the strength of the wind as there was some white horses. It again blew from the NE though at 22C it was warmer than recently, and warmer than many other areas of the country!

Although the F15s were competing at Kippford in the Scottish Championship, and no doubt looking forward to an evening sponsored by Loch Fyne, there were 17 boats racing for the first races in, inter alia, the Autumn Trophy! (Hopefully Summer is over just yet?). In the GPs, Val/Ken seemed to lose ground for a while (what wasn’t Ken doing that Val thought he should?!), and the first race was won by John/Nigel with a good lead. In the second race, Val/Ken found their form, holding off Joan/Jack though to the finish.

Jim in a Hartley won both slow handicap races from John in a Pico. There were some consistent results in the fast handicap fleet, with Scumper winning both races in his 100, Tony had two 2nds in his Solo, Robbie D/Banter two 3rds in their 400, and Peter two retirements in his Solo!

Mike was sailing his Streaker, capsized over the Bates almost taking out Herb, the official starter, who said his eyesight was squiffy, then he realised his lens had been knocked out of his specs!

Latest results DW etc

Sunday’s forecast was for light airs, which may have put some sailors off, but the wind filled in suitably for the morning racing, and the sun continued to shine! Ian Hall won in his Solo ahead of Mike in his Streaker, while John/Jack took the honours in the GPs from Val/Ken. Jim C took another win in the slow handicap ahead of John in his Pico. Amber took to the helm of a Mirror, but someone hadn’t given her a full fighting chance as the mainsail was not fully raised…

Latest results BL etc

The wind disappeared totally over lunch but made a reappearance, and with a few remaining sailors prepared for the water a race was started in light airs that rapidly faded again. Jim had taken to his Supernova to tune it back up, not that the conditions were suitable for that, and took an early lead but the lack of wind worked against him and he subsequently retired. With the conditions not looking likely to improve the race was shortened at the first rounding of 0. With the threat of rain, after leading the fleet across the finish line, Val/Ken rushed ashore so Ken could put the hood up on his open topped car! Fortunately, the rain held off at the club and attacked Binsey instead. Next across the line was Mike in his Streaker who, on handicap, secured 1st pace from Val by just two secs.

RNLI Pennant

Next weekend we host a multitude of open meetings viz Topper NW areas, Laser Travellers, Solo open alongside club racing in the form of a fleet challenge.